Soundboards with and without

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 21:26:10 +0000

André

When the new ribs are installed are the bridges taken off ,  is the
sound board placed on a flat surface or a bevelled  surface, are all of
the ribs taken off at once or are they replaced one by one, are go bars
used to apply pressure to the new ribs,  what type of glue is used,
and do any of the butt joint of the sound board fail during the process.

Are the ribs cut to the same size and thickness, do you tune the ribs,
do you put a shape to the ribs so as to increase the downbering ,  what
factors do you use to  choose the ribs, do you try to mach the wood  to
the same forest.

I have seen a  Chappell  piano which this was done to,  the tone was Ok.
However, I could not do a before and after comparison.   As I never seen
the piano before.    The only reason I new it had new ribs on it was the
usual, piano tuner arrives before the piano and I noticed them thay
stuck out like a sour thum.

Sorry, if you have answered all of these questions before.

Barrie,

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |