Another Chickering

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 22:06:20 EST

<<
 What I saw was a Chickering 'Quarter-Grand' serial number 123675, length
 5'3".  It had received only minimal maintenance despite heavy use.  Parts
 were very worn, out of regulation, but not broken.  (I'll provide further
 details upon request so I won't bore everybody on this list.)

 My questions are:

 Has anybody had experience rebuilding one of these critters?  What were
 some of the challenges encountered?  Were there problems restoring
 (rebushing etc.) action parts or are there suitable replacement parts
 available?  (I'm well aware that Chickering was quite the innovator.)  When
 all was said and done, did you feel the results were worth the effort?  Or,
 were you left with the sense that the customer was left with just another
 little 5'3" grand?

 Any comments will be greatfully appreciated.  Thank you.

 ZR!  RPT
 Ann Arbor  MI
 diskladame@provide.net

 ZR,

Chances are I will be having such a grand come to my shop in April and if it
is what you described, I will let you know.  I do know that this piano has
pins that love to slip while tuning.  Needs restringing.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR