Soundboard Thoughts of Marilyn Monroe

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 09:39:05 -0800 (PST)

At 09:04 AM 12/11/97 -0500, John Piesik wrote:

<big snip>
>     We might
>     change it's performance with a new part (e.g., soundboard, hammers,
>     strings, keys), but since we cannot change the plate, rim, or case we
>     cannot change the "soul" of the piano.

I can well see that casting replacement plates might be prohibitively
expensive, but why couldn't we change the rim or case? Not scrapping them
and starting over, but beefing up wimpy rims? Adding reinforcement, possibly
tiebars like the Mason & Hamlin spider, or gluing heavy liners to the inner
rim? Why not? It seems no more effort than replacing soundboards.

Always curious ---

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"I'm glad that there are at least some things somewhere that I don't have to
do today."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant