Soundboard Thoughts

BobDavis88 BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 13:39:53 EST

Del writes,

> >My personal preference is a vertically laminated body and a horizontally
>  laminated cap.

Del,

Having had experience with the design of such bridges, can you give us any
general guidelines about how they relate to the standard vertical w/cap?

1. What laminar thickness and grain orientation are you speaking of for the
base? For the cap?
2. What kind of glue?
3. What approximate differences in cross-section and height could one expect
to produce a bridge of the same stiffness/impedance/transmission/whatever?
4. Have you used this in rebuilding, i.e., a standard vertical base planed
down to accept a veneer laminate cap? Or does this change the impedance enough
that this really needs to be done from scratch?

Not having heard a great-sounding piano with a laminate cap, we have always
used a quartered maple cap, but only because we didn't know enough. Vertical
laminate base/horizontal laminate cap certainly has some attractive physical
properties.

Thanks for the informative posts.

Bob Davis