Everett vertical pinblock separation

BSimon1234 BSimon1234@aol.com
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 14:24:14 EST

Bibb Maxim wrote;

<<tuned an Everett vertical-- 1/8"separation of pinblock--but protected by 4
carriage bolts from the back through the plate, cast iron backposts (etc)-  I
pointed the crack out to the customer but gave the judgment that there would
be no problem.>>

You describe a condition that you think cannot happen. Carriage bolts with big
cast iron washers squashing the pinblock together tightly so it cannot come
apart. BUT - then how did the separation get there? Perhaps something is going
on?  I think a 1/8" separation is plenty to be concerned about. Check the nuts
on the back carefully with a loupe to see if it looks like someone loosened
the nuts? Also, is it a tapered crack, or uniform across the piano?

I would favor running some old style tightbond into the crack and clamping it
up with about eight big c-clamps, and blocks, and the carriage bolts. Try
clamping dry first to see if it comes together, -have the customer sign a
waiver.

Bill Simon
Phoenix