Soundboards with and without

RIrvingbas RIrvingbas@aol.com
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 15:40:43 EST

Dear list,

I have been reading this discussion with interest.  As I am also a
professional string player (double-bass), I can tell you that that the tops
(read: soundboards) of string instruments have a major part to play in the
tonal quality of these instruments.  Two other factors come into play, though.
Strings also have bridges, as well as bass bars, which serve roughly the same
function as ribs, in that they aid in the transferring of energy from the
strings.  On string instruments the bridges and bass bar are often replaced as
part of a major overhaul, with the old top being retained.  My wife Adriane,
also a professional double-bassist, recently had her bass overhauled.  One of
the procedures was to restore some lost crown in the top, along with bridge
and bass-bar work.  The result was a magnificent sounding instrument.  Has any
body ever tried keeping the old board and replacing the bridges and ribs?
Would it be theoretically possible to remove the old parts, restore some crown
(if necessary) and reassemble?

Any other string players with their two cents to add?

Ray