Korean Piano Prepping, was Samick hammer knuckles HARD!!

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 17:22:47

At 06:46 AM 12/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Roger, Thanks for starting a thread I was thinking of starting! Namely
>Korean piano prepping.  A dealer I work with does not see the value of doing
>this 'extra' work. It
>would be great to have some input from you all about it. Specifically, what
>steps would
>you include on the typical Korean grand out of the crate?  What if you could
>only get the dealer to spring for an extra hour of time? What would your
>highest priorities be?
>
>Hi Brad,
          Jim Bryant has hit the nail on the head, go for coffee, I have
not uncrated any of these instruments that did'nt need a minimum of 1/2 a
days work period. But may be I,m picky.
  Dealer education is part of our job, and that is where you have to start,
his lack of concern is pulling your reputation and image down to his level,
is this what you want for your self?
 Having said this, approach the dealer and offer to properly prep one unit
at a deal, with the clear understanding that if they notice the big
improvement, and they can sell the piano quickly, he can then tack a set
fee for service on to the selling price, he can use your work order to
prove to the customer that his quality control is exceptional. this is
going to translate to more sales and better profits for him, plus less
hassels from his customers. I refer to this as quality base building your
business.
  Here I'm off on a tanget on ethics again.

 1hr. wow! Protech all action centres. It's a rare one that will not need
some centre work. Damper timing always seems to be a problem. A fast cheat
is to bend the spoons up for a quick timing job. Suprising how many leaky
dampers disappear.  Seat strings to bridge. Seat action glide bolts.  I
think the hour is up. If the piano is very bright quickly steam the hammers.

 We spend a minimum of one day per unit. Things to watch for, Jack
alignment with the knuckle is usually poor, so do a fast hammer line, and
the check this carefully. The wippen assist spings always need
retensioning. The previous post re hard felts needs checking carefully, and
remedial action as required. Rep springs always kick like a mule.
 I regulate these instruments with a Yamaha blow gauge and dip block and
get great results at these specs. Gives about .020 after touch.
 I always regulate twice, kind of like pitch raising the action.
Hope this helps.
Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan
Dept. of Music.