The Revenaugh Lower Lid in New York Times

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 20:25:04 -0500

Anybody out there familiar with the physics of acoustics?

My dad (who has an undergraduate degree in physics) suspects that the lower
lid may give rise to some out-of-phase cancellation in certain directions.
I'll try to look further into this with some other physicists I know ....

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

----------
> From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: The Revenaugh Lower Lid in New York Times
> Date: Tuesday, December 09, 1997 2:02 AM
>

> Benjamin Treuhaft wrote:
>
> >      Today's NYT has a front-page story on a new invention: a lower lid
> > which collects and reflects outward the tone from the bottom of the
> > soundboard - tone which normally just bounces around down there.  The
> > only part of the idea I don't like is that with the lower lid in place
> > there is no room for me.  I love to sit under pianos when they're being
> > played.  You have to pretend you are checking the substructure or the
> > customer will think you're nuts.
> > Benjamin Treuhaft
> > Berkeley, Calif.
>
> -----------------------------
>
> I looked up the story in the NYT and found it to be quite interesting.
Especially the part that said Mr Revenaugh held the
> patent on the device.
>
> Odd. I'm sure I've came across an old patent on this idea before. As in,
from several decades back. Anyone living near a
> library housing the proper reference works up to doing a quick patent
search?

> Personally, I'm not sure just how effective the device would be in a
concert hall. I should think that if you were standing
> close to the instrument on the treble side you might notice some
difference. Back ten rows, I kind of doubt you'd hear much,
> if any, change, let alone any improvement.
>
> I should think, however, that this might be somewhat like positioning the
instrument, or deciding on voicing: shouldn't it
> kind of be up to the musicians? The pianist and the conductor. Even,
perhaps, the piano manufacturer. Surely it's not a