Soundboard Thoughts (Kind of long)

Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:22:03 -0800

Stephen Birkett wrote:

> It is a mistake to think that we are in a better position to "understand"
> piano designs than our predecessors were, because we have technology they
> didn't have. Early builders had an intuitive understanding acquired from
> empirical observation...we will never be able to match this with any
> amount of scientific analysis. That isn't to say scientific analysis is a
> waste of time...it is just a different approach to problem solving.
>
> Stephen
>
> Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
> Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
> 464 Winchester Drive
> Waterloo, Ontario
> Canada N2T 1K5
> tel: 519-885-2228
> email: birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca

It is also a mistake to think that we are less able to understand our own piano designs because we do have that technology.
Modern builders (and rebuilders) are surely just as capable of developing "an intuitive understanding acquired from empirical
observation" as were their predecessors. Why should it be impossible to have both an intuitive understanding coupled with the
theoretical knowledge that comes from scientific analysis? Are we required to turn off our intuition when we turn on our
instruments? I hope not.

Del