Do I need to RESTRING?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 15:12:20

At 12:17 PM 12/12/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello All.
>
>I have been presented with a project from a local piano store.  This guy
>picked up a couple of Yamaha's from an outfit in Florida.  One of them (a
>6.5 footer) was manufactured in 1967.  It has two pedals.  I am sure it
>originally came from somewhere in Asia.  I have two questions:
>
>The bass strings are to be replaced.  When I got there he already had them
>shipped out to Mapes.  The wire has some minor corrosion.  I tried 0000 wool
>on it and it gets clean but the corrosion stays in places.  The strings seem
>fine in sound and feel.  None of them have threatened to break yet!  The
>store owner and I felt it would be a good idea to restring since it will
>have shiny new bass strings and these unsightly treble wire otherwise.
>Should I try a different method of cleaning (that green block thingy) or
>just go ahead and restring?  Are these scales readily available or should I
>just duplicate the wire size?
>
>The other question is the soundboard.  It is solid in every respect except
>the finish.  The finish underneath is smooth but on top it is very rough.
>It is the wood equivalent to a plate in your basic Kimball upright.  Rough
>to the touch.  Again, I think it is aesthetics.  He wants me to try to wool
>it or somehow to get it to look and feel smoother.  Was this finish
>intentional or is there a connection between the minor string corrosion and
>this rough soundboard finish (exposure to high humidity, etc.)?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Glenn.
>
>Hi Glen,
          If you have been reading the thread on imported used pianos tou
will note that the corrosion is caused by H2SO4 or sulphuric acid from
industrial pollutants. This same pollutant, combined with dirt has melted
the dirt into the sound board laquer. I mave mannaged to get it off with an
industial degreaser, To say the least, I was dumbfounded at how much came
off and how gritty the mess seem to be, would make a good grinding
compound. Wool wax the board and it looks new. At least your dealer is
allowing you to do the right things. It's more expensive to use Yamaha
strings but I would recommend that approach in future vs Mapps.
Regards roger

Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan
Dept. of Music.