Soundboards in and out

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Fri, 12 Dec 97 22:51:09 -0000

>I assume it is PVA,  Do you use a high filler or a low fill type   Pva
>is graded by its filling properties 1 is low 10 is high. Most UK piano
>Makers Use factor 6
>PVA = Polly Vinyl Acetate suspended in water the stuff I sent you.

To be honest, I do not know exactly which number of white glue is being used, because, as I stated earlier, I do not do the work myself (lucky me)
However, I found some nice glue in Germany but the supplier (the factory) is slow in sending a sample.

>>and do any of the butt joint of the sound board fail during the process.
>
>What are "butt joints"?
>>>and do any of the butt joint of the sound board fail during the process.
>>
>>What are "butt joints"?
>English term, for joining to pieces of wood side to side with no special
>joints

Sometimes there is some (unavoidable) minor damage, but it will of course always be restored to invisibility.
In the end, the process of renewing ribs is quite fast and not too expensive.
If you start doing this kind of repair, you must quickly learn how to get the board out and preferably within a few hours, or a day..it is possible, I 've seen it done many times.
And...you must have the capability for handling wood expertly.
I do have a talent for wood but not the expertise, nor the patience.
We all have our own specific talents and the eventual use for them.

Friendly greetings from :

CONCERT PIANO SERVICE
André Oorebeek
Amsterdam, the Netherlands