Gerts, M& H

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:45:11 -0600

Hi Les again and list,
	A few years ago I ran into an ad or something in the Journal about a
Wilhelm Gerts piano company somewhere in the east.  I wrote him a letter at
that time to see if he was any relation to Richard.  He explained in reply
that he was the great grandson or grandson of Richard the "inventor" of the
Mason & Hamlin piano.  He said he had a lot of info that would make a good
book but that is about all he would share with me.  It seems that when
W.W.I broke out he left America and went to I think New Zealand and began
building harpsichords.  I wonder if anyone has seen any of these.  He was
unclear as to if or when Richard came back here to continue his family
line.
	Does any one know Wilhelm or knows of his company in the east and could he
be persuaded to write more on the exploits of Richard?
This background history is fascinating stuff>
James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"I am only as good as my last tuning"