Korean Piano Prepping, was Samick hammer knuckles HARD!!

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 18:10:08

Hi Brad,
        Les Smith and I see eye to eye on most things, but in response to
the comments that refer to a specific piano being the jewel to each owner,
he is quite correct however, we have to take into account the customers
experience, and how much we can tactfully educate them on improvements.
  I relate a funny story, a customer with an old beater with the base
bridge hanging off came and purchased a new Baldwin Hamilton. she chose an
instrument that still had the packing materials still attached, I
erroniously thought the choice was based on the grain of the cabinet.
  The instrument was taken to the shop and prepped, strings tapped to
bridge, complete reg and tuned to A440. Piano was very nice.
  Later in the day I recieved a call from an irate lady accusing me of
switching pianos, because it sounded so different. On going to the home
with a copy of the bill of sale with ser# to prove there was no switch. She
confronted me that I have done something to ruin the wonderful tone. On a
gamble I dropped the outside unison about 5 cents in the centre section,
then she was pleased, after I had doctered the whole piano this way, her
parting shot to me was, Why did'nt I tune the piano properly in the first
place. Over a two year period we educated this young lady, who still
oppologises for her lack of knowlege at the time, to-day we both have a
chuckle over the event.
  Back to the Samick, I think they are very good value for the money if
careful prep is done. Heck I've seen more than my share of S&S pianos that
needed a day and a half worth of work to change it from a PSO, to a fine
musical instrument.
 Blanket statements on any type of piano is always dangerous. Our
relationships with the musical community will only work if we just keep
trying to educate in a caring manner, as opposed to dogmatic opions, which
just leads to confrontation.
 Sounds as if you have the dealers confidence so just gently keep trying.
Regards roger.
Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan
Dept. of Music.