Repair a piano? You crazy?

BSimon1234 BSimon1234@aol.com
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 23:16:09 EST

Someone wrote:

<<This piano needs to be rebuilt, with at least a new pin block and strings,
and
maybe even a new soundboard.  Depending on the condition of the action,that
should probably be replaced also. The finish is a toss up. If they accept the
piano in its current condition, it will be ok. >>

Increasingly, I am seeing this type of post as the standard answer for what to
do if the piano has a problem. The particular piano in question here has some
rust on the tuning pins and bridge pins. Certainly, removing the old piano and
installing a new one in the case would cure that.

This list is loaded with negative comments about established manufacturers
that cannot turn out a decent piano, after thousands of tries.  Is it now the
case that most technicians can build and install soundboards properly? I have
heard about a soundboard duplication company, but is it really that easy?
Does the standard piano shop now have a soundboard press? I cannot remember
seeing a single seminar that covered building and installing a soundboard, but
it seems as though almost everyone knows how to do it well!

I would appreciate comments. I have no intention of ever installing
soundboards so I won't be taking anyone's bread and butter, but I do seem to
be behind the curve on understanding current practice.

Bill Simon
Phoenix