Impact tuning hammer

MHoffman11 MHoffman11@aol.com
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 10:51:43 EST

<< Hello again Rogerio & list

 As I said before, the impact tuning lever is not the best for all tuning, but
 it is a great tool to have around.  Someone posted a note that said they use
 one on grands.  Sorry, don't remember who.  Can you explain this technique a
 bit more?

 Peace,

 Ray

Hello Ray and list:

I admit it.  I'm the one who raises pitch on grands with an impact lever.

Which allows me to ask the following:  is the impact lever a left-handed tool?
I use my left hand when I use the tool on either verticals or grands.  I stand
slightly to the left of the tool with the tail pointing toward the tail of the
grand (almost always parallel with the strings).  The impact occurs about the
3 o'clock position.  Remember this is correcting the pitch, not fine-tuning!
I start on A0 and continue all the way up the scale.  As I get to C7 or so, I
change the position of the tool so that the impact force hits about 12 o'clock
(and the tool doesn't hit the side of the case!).  It takes some getting used
to, but I find it's a quick, easy method to correct pitch...especially on
brand new, high-torque pinblocks.

Anyway, rephrasing my question:  how do right-handers use an impact lever?

Stay Tuned!

Mike Hoffman, RPT
Marquette, MI