Repair a piano? You crazy?

Sun, 14 Dec 1997 11:59:14 -0800

BSimon1234 wrote:

> Someone wrote:
>
> <<This piano needs to be rebuilt, with at least a new pin block and strings,
> and
> maybe even a new soundboard.  Depending on the condition of the action,that
> should probably be replaced also. The finish is a toss up. If they accept the
> piano in its current condition, it will be ok. >>
>
> Increasingly, I am seeing this type of post as the standard answer for what to
> do if the piano has a problem. The particular piano in question here has some
> rust on the tuning pins and bridge pins. Certainly, removing the old piano and
> installing a new one in the case would cure that.
>
> This list is loaded with negative comments about established manufacturers
> that cannot turn out a decent piano, after thousands of tries.  Is it now the
> case that most technicians can build and install soundboards properly?

No, most piano shops are probably not equipped to replace soundboards. It is quite costly, both in terms of direct monetary
investment and in time to set up to do this properly.

> I have
> heard about a soundboard duplication company, but is it really that easy?

No one said it was easy. And we don't do it that way. We search out and buy the spruce, condition it, machine it, lay-up the
panels, etc. But I also know Nick Gravagne. (One of those supplying "ready-to-install" soundboard assemblies.) He is a
skilled and meticulous craftsman who can deliver what he says he can deliver. Even with this, however, it's still not easy.

> Does the standard piano shop now have a soundboard press? I cannot remember seeing a single seminar that covered building
> and installing a soundboard, but it seems as though almost everyone knows how to do it well!
>
> I would appreciate comments. I have no intention of ever installing
> soundboards so I won't be taking anyone's bread and butter, but I do seem to
> be behind the curve on understanding current practice.

> Bill Simon
> Phoenix

No, the standard piano shop does not have a soundboard press. But many classes and seminars have been given on the subject.
Both at the National TI and in Regional Seminars. As well as probably more than a few chapter meetings. Then there have been
all of the various articles published in the Journal over the past few years. Including at least one reprint book. The
information is there for those who want it.

-- ddf