Repair a piano? You crazy?

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 15:38:22 EST

>Someone wrote:
>
><<This piano needs to be rebuilt, with at least a new pin block and strings,
>and
>maybe even a new soundboard.  Depending on the condition of the action,that
>should probably be replaced also. The finish is a toss up. If they accept the
>piano in its current condition, it will be ok. >>
>
>Increasingly, I am seeing this type of post as the standard answer for what
>do if the piano has a problem. The particular piano in question here has some
>rust on the tuning pins and bridge pins. Certainly, removing the old piano
>and
>installing a new one in the case would cure that.
>
>This list is loaded with negative comments about established manufacturers
>that cannot turn out a decent piano, after thousands of tries.  Is it now the
>case that most technicians can build and install soundboards properly? I have
>heard about a soundboard duplication company, but is it really that easy?
>Does the standard piano shop now have a soundboard press? I cannot remember
>seeing a single seminar that covered building and installing a soundboard,
>but
>it seems as though almost everyone knows how to do it well!
>
>I would appreciate comments. I have no intention of ever installing
>soundboards so I won't be taking anyone's bread and butter, but I do seem to
>be behind the curve on understanding current practice.
>
>Bill Simon
>Phoenix

Bill:

I wrote the first part to which you are referring. I do not install
soundboards. Never have, never will. It's just too expensive to set up the
shop, and I don't feel I will do a good enough job to try. There are several
outfits that can do this kind of work, who have done it for many yaers, and
can do it well. I send my work to them.

However, there is a difference between doing to the work, and knowing when a
soundboard needs to be replaced.  And that is where the problem might lie.
There are many technicians out there who do not know when to replace a
soundbaord. These technicians will shim an older soundbaord, because they
think all soundboard can be shimmed. This is where education becomes very
important. I attend classes at a seminars and convention on soundbaord
replacement not because I want to learn how to do it, but to learn how the
process is done, and to learn when a soundbaord needs to be replaced.
Diagnosing the problem is only half the solution to a bad sounding piano.

Even though I do not replace soundboards, I do replace pin blocks. Several
months ago someone on this list made the comment that 25 years ago, only a
handfull of technicians replaced pin blocks, but that now it is almost a
common practice. I think the same thing might be happening with soundboard
installation. As more an more older instruments are in need of a new
soundboard, you will see more technicians doing this. Whether they will do it
right remains to be seen, but I think our conventions and seminars are
serrving us well in this regards. You have to start somewhere.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis