Repair a piano? You crazy?

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 14:23:10 +0000

> Date:          Sun, 14 Dec 1997 11:59:14 -0800
> From:          Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re: Repair a piano? You crazy?

> BSimon1234 wrote:
>
> > Someone wrote:
> >
> > <<This piano needs to be rebuilt, with at least a new pin block and strings,
> > and
> > maybe even a new soundboard.  Depending on the condition of the action,that
> > should probably be replaced also. The finish is a toss up. If they accept the
> > piano in its current condition, it will be ok. >>
> >
> > Increasingly, I am seeing this type of post as the standard answer for what to
> > do if the piano has a problem. The particular piano in question here has some
> > rust on the tuning pins and bridge pins. Certainly, removing the old piano and
> > installing a new one in the case would cure that.
> >
> > This list is loaded with negative comments about established manufacturers
> > that cannot turn out a decent piano, after thousands of tries.  Is it now the
> > case that most technicians can build and install soundboards properly?
>
> No, most piano shops are probably not equipped to replace soundboards. It is quite costly, both in terms of direct monetary
> investment and in time to set up to do this properly.
>

> > I have
> > heard about a soundboard duplication company, but is it really that easy?
>
> No one said it was easy. And we don't do it that way. We search out and buy the spruce, condition it, machine it, lay-up the
> panels, etc. But I also know Nick Gravagne. (One of those supplying "ready-to-install" soundboard assemblies.) He is a
> skilled and meticulous craftsman who can deliver what he says he can deliver. Even with this, however, it's still not easy.
>

> > Does the standard piano shop now have a soundboard press? I cannot remember seeing a single seminar that covered building
> > and installing a soundboard, but it seems as though almost everyone knows how to do it well!
> >
> > I would appreciate comments. I have no intention of ever installing
> > soundboards so I won't be taking anyone's bread and butter, but I do seem to
> > be behind the curve on understanding current practice.
>
> > Bill Simon
> > Phoenix
>
> No, the standard piano shop does not have a soundboard press. But many classes and seminars have been given on the subject.
> Both at the National TI and in Regional Seminars. As well as probably more than a few chapter meetings. Then there have been
> all of the various articles published in the Journal over the past few years. Including at least one reprint book. The
> information is there for those who want it.
>
> -- ddf

	Bill (& Del)

	I know Bill's frustration when dealing with assessing a piano for
repair, and having my assessment pooh-poohed because I didn't budget
for new pinblock & soundboard. In many cases, the amount of labour
and the associated costs are easily twice to three times the value
of the piano. I am also careful to distinguish between repairs and
rebuilding (not restoration:  using absolutely identical parts
or period construction methods) I have repaired many pianos. I have
rebuilt only 2 (no soundboard replacement, also, no cracks, pressure
ridges, and good crown and downbearing on either instrument) in 10
years.
	I have also seen attempts at rebuilding where repairs would
have sufficed until proper rebuilding could occur. Most technicians
know their limits. Some are game to try anything. The problem arises
when someone tries out their experiments on a customer's piano with
poor results. I have found that, like 100 years ago, everyone has
their own ideas and convictions as to what constitutes proper
pinblock replacement, soundboard construction & install, hammer
construction & density, regulation specs, and tuning practice.
	 Also, certain areas of piano technology become 'fashionable',
currently, it is soundboard replacement. It is an area that I am
gathering knowledge (Del's posts are invaluable) but don't profess to
be able to replace a board in a S&S model A. That will come with the
help of others.

Here's to learning....8-)

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG