Open letter to Dampp Chaser

Stevepnoco Stevepnoco@aol.com
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 21:45:25 EST

Dear Glenn & List,

The Dampp-Chaser system is not fighting itself.  It just takes turns raising
relative humidity and lowering relative humidity to maintain an average of
42%.  This average humidity results in stable wood moisture content.  You will
see charts, studies etc. but I can attest that the piano will tell you if the
system is doing its job.  If the pitch is 10 to 20 cents flat in Feb. and 10
to 20 cents sharp in Aug. then you need a system.  I have at least 50 systems
in our local schools.  The pianos with a system are never more than 2 cents
sharp or flat at anytime during the year.  Pianos without a system (or with
systems that are not kept plugged in) suffer the pitch changes as stated
above.  Our indoor humidity goes from 15% to 80%.

For those who have had no experience with Dampp-Chaser systems, all I can say
is it really works.  Pianos that have them properly installed and maintained
are in far better condition than those without.

Best Regards,

Steve Cunningham
P.S. Glenn, when are you visiting the D.C. area again? Please stop in!