violins and age

BobDavis88 BobDavis88@aol.com
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 03:09:53 EST

Susan says,
> I recently (last year) replaced parts
>  on a 1941 Steinway A that had sat unplayed for a long time. It was in a
>  private home, and was seized with verdigris, then got donated to the Arts
>  Center. I noticed a big change when, months after I got it playing, it was
>  _finally_ given some good, loud (even _very_ loud) use by some composers
>  during a symposium. I suspect it had never been played so much and so hard
>  in its whole life as it was that week. The tone opened out a lot,
especially
>  in the "trouble" octave.

Susan,
I don't know if not playing a piano could cause its tone to deteriorate, and I
know even less about violins, et alia. I do know that there is another,
simpler explanation for what you experienced on THIS piano. If one sits down
at a piano with a fairly new set of hammers, even one that has been played,
then one picks out a note and plays it HARD for about 100 strokes (with ear
protection, of course), that note will then sound noticeably brighter than the
ones around it.

Enjoying your articles in the Journal -- you write well.

Bob