violins and age

murray seminuk seminukm@cadvision.com
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 05:07:18 -0700

At 10:38 PM 12/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Don,
>
>Since you have experience with violins as well as pianos, maybe you could
>advise me on what to do with the pegs on my viola.
>
>Now that the heat is on and everything is dried out I'm having a lot of
>trouble tuning the instrument - have to really twist those pegs in and even
>then they are likely to slip.
>
>I'd know what to do if this were a piano.......I hope the remedy is not
>going to be TPT, "re-pegging" or something like that.  Maybe rosin?  CA glue
>(forget I said that).. Help.
>
>Rob Stuart-Vail

You can loosen the tuning peg enough to be able to pull it out slightly and
apply some white blackboard chalk on the peg.The chalk is gritty enough to
create more friction to hold.If that does not work it is necessary to remove
the peg and have it replaced and refitted.A proper reamer and peg shaper
shoud be used otherwise you can really ruin the existing hole in the head.
If the violin is of any value be careful with it.If you need any more help
please contact me.

Murray