measuring grand pianos (was: Stupid Question)

Tue, 16 Dec 1997 12:21:55 -0800

Les Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Keith McGavern wrote:
>
> > The way I have been measuring grand pianos is from a line drawn
> > perpendicular to the front of the keyslip and then measuring to the
> > furtherest extended place on the top lid.  I hope I explained that
> > correctly.  Is that not the way others measure the length of grand pianos?
>
> Oh-oh, maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years! I've always
> measured the case from the  back of the tail  to the front of the keybed,
> which usually extends slightly beyond the keyslip. I've never included
> the lid projection. Others?
>
> Les Smith
> lessmith@buffnet.net

I think Steinway is unique in this.

Most pianos, at least so I've been told, include the lid, keybed trim, etc. It's always been my suspicion that this accounted
for some of the excessive lid overhangs and the extra thick keyslips and the extra long keybed extensions we sometimes run
into.