out of tune Wurlitzer

THEOFONE THEOFONE@aol.com
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 23:49:18 EST

to Mr Blees
                In the last year , I have hed the same problem with  3
Wurlitzers. All the same thing---Pinblock Separation. The first.had loose pins
all over , contracted to dope it. When I laid it on its back and removed the
pins in the middle section it seemed to drink the fluid extremely fast. I did
the other sections and came back to the middle and it was dry after about 2
minutes. Filled them up again, drank it faster. After about 4 fillups in 5
minutes, I found the problem . The fluid was coming out the top of the block,
AND was drooling down the soundboard. I lifted it up, steamed off the top
veneer and sure enough, block was separated. I repaired the separation,
finished the doping and piano was fine. Similar circumstances with the 2
others.
ALSO check to see that the bass strings are not too close to the action or
there is not a buzz on bass notes when hit hard . When the plate comes
forward, the bass strings can hit the wippens by the damper spoons. That is
also another indicator.
 Good Luck
                                                        Theodore Mamel RPT
                                                         Pittsburgh Chapter