Chickering parts

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 14:12:35 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Jeannie Grassi wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>     Baldwin now makes a Chickering grand, but the lyre does not resemble
> anything you might find on a 1950's Chickering.

To finish the comparison, one must also note that NOTHING on a 50's Chick-
ing remotely resembled ANYTHING on an original Chickering Chickering.
Likewise, with regards to Baldwin "Chickerings", Joseph Hale (Ever heard
of a "Hale" brand tuning hammer or other tool?), credited as the inventor
of the oft-decried "stencil" piano, would be delighted to know that his
sleazy marketing ploy is still flouishing today. Stecks and Knabes made
by Young-Chang, for crying out loud? What a sick joke! How far away are
we from a Chinese-built Steinway? Some questions are better left unasked
and unanswered.

Anyone out there remember the old sci-fi short story "THE CHOICE"? A man
invents a time machine and travels to the future, taking with himself a
camera, a tape recorder and a note book. When he returns, he is asked why
he took no pictures, recorded no sounds and made no notes. His reply? I
have seen the future and was given a choice as to whether or not I wanted
to remember it. I chose not to.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net