promised reply (Susan)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 14:21:59 -0800 (PST)

Stephen Birkett wrote:
>No-one is making wire like the old stuff...zero-carbon with phosphorus.
>The way the iron was derived in the foundry for music wire pigs was
>a process that naturally produced iron of this composition. Early
>pragmatism...nothing fancy. They knew to take the first iron that ran off
>the pig, since it had the most phosphorus, then de-carburized it with the
>blast. That iron was destined for music wire alone. Drawing process was
>carefully thought out too, but not complicated.
>
>There is modern soft wire that is passable, but not really like old wire
>since it starts out as mild steel rod I think..alas the best we can do
>right now. But we know how to make the real stuff...another project for my
>rainy days.

Stephen --

This may be a _profoundly_ silly idea, but ... Stelco and Dofasco are just
down the pike from you, aren't they? Might one of their R&D departments
welcome a change of pace, producing your high-phosphorus low carbon iron as
a public relations exercise? For them a little trial run would probably give
a supply that would last you for many years. They could take pretty photos
of you using their historically accurate metal restringing your latest
reproduction, and put them in a house publication or a TV spot ...

Well, just a notion. I don't really know anything about metallurgy.

Susan

P.S. I begin to see that exploring the "front-end business" on big
turn-of-the-century grands may involve a bit of travelling. The big Erards
are mostly still in France, aren't they?