front end of grands

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 18:50:53 -0500

At 02:21 PM 12/19/97 -0800, Susan wrote:

>P.S. I begin to see that exploring the "front-end business" on big
>turn-of-the-century grands may involve a bit of travelling. The big Erards
>are mostly still in France, aren't they?

There are some in this country as well, but yes, you have to do a fair
amount of travelling to study a good range of 19th century pianos.  I will
confess to you that I have done so, and took lots of pictures and notes,
though the trips were too short to be very complete, and  I have a good
friend who took even more pictures from whom I bought a complete set.  I
also confess I haven't gotten around to cataloguing the slides yet.  O.K.
I'll bump it up a priority level, but I have to finish a couple harpsichords
first.  What I really would like to do is reschedule some travel.   Say,
Stephen, we should spend a few weeks at the Colt Collection don't you think?
Perhaps we could arrange some tours a la' the Lucktenburg/Kottick
harpsichord tours?

ab

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos