using superglue on hammer glue joints

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 17:11:28

At 04:28 PM 12/20/97 EST, you wrote:
>Rodger,
>	Obviously you haven't tried to remove a hammer head secured with super glue.
>I have many times and it's not any harder.  Super glue is very brittle and as
>soon as it releases it becomes a matter of knocking off the residue. So sorry
>you don't have any luck in such areas, as I have done this for over 14 years
>without any negative consequences.
>Luck to you,
>Patrick Wethington RPT
>Denver, CO
>
>Patrick,
         It is because I have changed many sets of hammers that have been
treated with super glue that I urge caution, or maybe I am little more
fussy than most with regards to hammer and shank mechanical tightness.
  In fact with new shanks and hammers, I dry down the shanks so that I
obtain a mechanical sweat joint, as well as a good glue joint.
  Some manufacturers have a much looser fit than others and I am sure that
they would be much easier to pull. However companies like Yamaha that have
very tight machining tolerences plus dried shanks, you will find that on
removing a complete set of hammers that has been treated with CA, you will
tear a goodly number of shanks.
  For your imformation I change about 3 sets of hammers per month on a wide
range of makes and models, and have been doing so for a number of
years,many of the units at the university have been treated with CA glue by
a variety of techs, and I presume many different types of CA glue. The
Yamahas that have been treated in this manner I just replace with prehung
shanks. One of many reasons is that I wish to maintain their standards with
regards to hammer/shank fit
Have a Merry Exmas
Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan