Weird detuning

Eric Leatha tunrboy@teleport.com
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 18:23:30 -0800

>Maybe it was the Rottweiller!
>

>At 11:55 AM 12/22/97 EST, you wrote:
>>
>>In a message dated 12/22/97 11:20:52 AM, magraham@bw.edu wrote:
>><<"Frankly, if evidence supported it, I would say someone deliberately
>>detuned four notes. After all, some strings were severely sharp, more than
>>50 cents.">>
>><<"My own sanity is at stake here.
>>Mark Graham">>

Just a quick anecdote:

The dealership I find myself within employ had a Rather Prominent Teacher
phone in screaming bloody terror because her resonably expensive 7 footer
was out of tune in the 5th octave.  I drove out (two hours before catching
a plane to Austin, no less) and found suspicious stains around certain pins
in the fifth octave.  Sure enough, I didn't even need a mute, the stained
pins were the offenders.  I had a short talk with the Rather Prominient
Teacher about beverages and pianos, then slipped out and made my plane...

"Tunings are like bridges... Some are more exceptional than others, but
they all get the job done."

Eric Leatha, RPT
Portland, OR
tunrboy@teleport.com