Trailer for moving pianos

BobDavis88 BobDavis88@aol.com
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 14:18:03 EST

> Can anyone recommend a
>  particular type of trailer?  What are the pros and cons of using a trailer
>  for piano moves?

Frank,
When we were in retail, we had a truck with a lift gate. It was lovely, would
hold multiple pianos, but terrifically expensive to operate and insure. Now
that we move fewer than one a month, it's unnecessary. We don't move for hire,
just our own pickups and deliveries.

Most small trailers we saw had door openings too small for wider grands, so we
had a trailer maker make a taller one, and I installed a tie rail to strap the
pianos to. A friend uses an open trailer, but I don't like the idea for
several reasons. There's always the sudden rainshower, bugs, flying debris,
etc., but there's also the idea of customer confidence -- the closed trailer
just looks more professional. Speaking of which, I imagine that a horse
trailer would work very well. It's just that it looks like a horse trailer.
Anyway, ours is just right for pianos up to seven feet. My wife and I don't
like to move anything larger, so we refer them to a friend. We also don't need
to move more than one at a time, because the car wouldn't handle it.

The cost of the trailer was about $1800, I think, and it has paid for itself
already. We just hook it up to the car (takes 3 minutes), and drive away. I
love it. It's easy to load, as it's not much higher than the dolly, and the
piano slides right in. The wheels are on the outside (with fenders) so there's
no problem with wheel wells on the inside. We have a sheet of Masonite
covering the plywood floor.

Love it, love it, love it.
Bob Davis
Stockton, CA