informal/definitions/rerere

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 15:21:24 -0700

At 08:43 AM 12/28/97 EST, you wrote:
> My definitions are :
>
>1. Reconditioned- using mostly all old parts and replacing only severly
>worn/hard felts, leathers, corroded metal pieces, along with severe cleaning
>and/or sandblasting.

Jim, list,
	The above definition pretty much seems like what I think of or expect when
I hear "reconditioned". It's funny, though, that often a customer will
"hear" rebuilt or whatever, when you KNOW that you said(or the previous guy
said or wrote on his ticket or price tag) ... reconditioned, or
worse....like maybe just "cleaned and tightened". When you stutter a
little, the customer says "I know he musta re-goomered the dang thing, why,
his bill was almost 2-3 hunert bucks!" Followed by "Still owes us that free
toonin', too! After a couple of years, we kinda fergot to call him, and
well, y'know, that was back when the Gulf War thing was jest gearin' up,
and...."

>2. Rebuilt- Using all new parts in the action stack, underlevers as needed,
>restringing, new pinblock, rebushing, all new felts, along with refinishing
>case. This work is accomplished using original specs except in certain select
>instances. (example one should never replace a teflon action with another
>teflon action :-)

Well.... almost works for me. Part of that is that I get some units that
have been out here all their lives. I would have to classify some of the
other action parts in that "as needed" category. Any moisture-related
problems are less with a lot of our jobs. Whippens are quite often very
usable, and even shanks/knuckles sometimes. Meaning, I wouldn't expect a
significant improvement by replacing them. That improvement issue I guess
would have to be the criteria. If it do, do. If it don't, don't. Cosmically
bad grammar, but you get the idea.  Strings, blocks, felts, and cabinet, of
course. Perhaps some more feedback on the "rebuilt" definition........

>3. Remanufactured- 'Everything' but case, and case parts, is tossed out with
>the possible exception of the keyframe, but including soundboard and bridges.
>Alterations may be made in original specs with the goal of improving
>performance and sound. (example-rescaling). All new hardware, pinblock, sound
>board, bridges, keys, underlevers, action parts, damper heads, etc.

Sounds good, although I bet you don't mean to toss the plate. And there's
lots of hardware that should nevernever need to be replaced.

>4. Restored- Everything as close to original as possible with only original
>spec parts used for replacement, original finish coatings, etc..  In
>restoration the refurbishing of original parts is/should be the first
>alternative (?).  (Stephen, Anne?)

When we were also doing museum restorations of other works, the above
description fit the bill quite well. Liberties were sometimes taken in
areas that absolutely couldn't be seen (or avoided), but otherwise "what
you said".

>5. Recycled- Parts saved where appropiate, parts, case and sounding board
used
>for fire wood and plate used for shop decoration. Perhaps the case could be
>used for a computer desk...but only if action and plate are destroyed.  :-)

Hahaha! Love it! Talk about a fertile mind!(or is it fertilizer?) And a
possible can of worms.... like: re---gurgitated, or re---suscitate, or
re--tired, or re---jected, or re--strained, or re--fused(for refuse),
or...deemed ready for...... re--quiem?

> Just my take on the subject Danny.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Was that your take, Jim? Or maybe your "give". I appreciate it greatly, as
I do all the responses so far on this subject, and it's take-offs (or
give-offs).

	Since almost all of the replies have been to the list, I don't know if a
tally or consensus is really needed. It has been nicely informal, after
all, and everyone seems to agree on what they either look for, or expect to
see. Although the final sound of the instrument is undoubtedly the real
primary concern, appearance is probably the first impression. (hmm...
sounds familiar) Guess people "judge a book, etc." in more areas than one.
I'll not bother with actual numbers, per se, as my collator is out-of-sorts.

	Thanks again for all the feedback, am looking forward to some more input
on nomenclature/terms/definitions.

Guy Nichols

Guy Nichols, Member, PTG
nicho@lascruces.com

              "Not everything that counts can be counted,
               and not everything that can be counted counts."
				                          Albert Einstein