Crown without soundboards

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 12:21:06 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ed:

When one considers a piano soundboard with many splits and there is
still downbearing, one might think that indeed the ribs are supporting
the downward force of the string bearing. However, when one also
considers the fact that as humidity increases, the soundboard rises and
increases the tension on the strings, one might think that the board is
the crown supporting member. It is well known that the ribs do not
lengthen any to speak of when the humidity increases, but the soundboard
certainly does swell and rise with humidity increases. Perhaps we can
gain a little more insight from the harpsichord builders who have to
work with much fewer ribs and funny wavey things that go on with the
soundboards.

Jim Coleman, Sr.