informal/definitions/rerere

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 21:55:42 -0600 (CST)

Hi Jim,

At 06:34 PM 12/29/97 EST, you wrote:
>...  In addition
>that the main reason for gluing the board to the rim is to hold the board
>captive so that the middle of the board can do it's work without the entire
>assembly moving up and down. Just a swag.....

Dead on. Not as entertaining as the entire mess flailing about under play,
but sounds a lot better.

>I don't recall ever hearing any tech say that rim spread causes board
>flattening.

I thought that is what Ed Foote was suggesting. I'll have to go back and
read it again.

>Although, I have heard salesmen telling customers that the reason
>M&H had the spider underneath was to keep the sounding board "bowed up".
>(personally I always thought that it was there to give unsuspecting movers
>hernias.) :-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

I was told it was to scare the mice. %-) Seriously though, someone on the
list suggested it was to put the case sides under tension to improve
resonance. Seemed to me to be a reasonable idea.

 Ron Nossaman