informal/definitions/rerere

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 01:28:39 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, Jim Coleman, Sr. wrote:

> Hi Danny:
>
> in your last remark you mentioned that you had never heard of a
> Heiniztman.or however del mis-spelled it originally. I'm sure he meant
> Heintzman which is the Steinway of Canada, and well worth rebuilding.
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.

I'm glad to see someone putting in a good word for old Theodore's com-
pany, since he isn't around to speak for himself. :) If he was, he might
mentioned that he worked in the Steinway factories back in the early days,
before setting up shop for himself. Further, it's obvious that he kept his
eyes and ears open while working there, because you can see Steinway in-
fluences in his early pianos--especially the uprights. Although they
survived until relatively recently, they're now gone, just like almost
everyone else. It's a sobering thing to leaf through your piano atlas and
see how many companies are no longer with us and how little remains of
what used to be. In 1910 the US _alone_ sold almost twice as many pianos
as were sold world-wide last year. ;(

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net