CTE needed (for a question)

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Tue, 30 Dec 97 20:00:07 -0600

Avery Todd wrote:

>List,
>
>   I'm in the process of helping to give a tuning exam using the new
>scoring method. If there is a CTE on line right now (it's 2:55 PM Texas
>time), we need to ask a quick question about scoring for clarification.
>   The instructions say: "Examiners will read the entire piano,
>including the mid-range. This will compensate for corrections and any
>drift. But the midrange will not be rescored or verified."
>   Can anyone explain the reason for rereading the mid-range?
>   Am I being dense here?????
>   E-mail privately if you wish at:   atodd@uh.edu
>
>Thanks.
>
>Avery
>
>___________________________
>Avery Todd, RPT
>Moores School of Music
>University of Houston
>Houston, TX 77204-4893
>713-743-3226
>atodd@uh.edu
>http://www.uh.edu/music/

I hope you already got your answer.  These instructions have to do with
the new unified exam procedure in which the pitch, temperament, and
mid-range are scored by the examiners before the notes of the bass,
treble, and high treble are tuned by the examinee.  When the examinee
tunes the bass, treble, and high treble he is free to re-tune the
mid-range.  The mid-range is not re-scored, but it is important to
re-read the mid-range so that a new "pitch correction" number can be
calculated from the mid-range readings which may have changed since the
scoring of the pitch, temperament, and mid-range.  In other words, since
the mid-range may have changed, and because that change could affect the
scoring of the bass, treble, and high treble, the mid-range needs fresh
readings to be fair.

Kent Swafford