To Bush, Perchance to Dream

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 12:24:50 -0600 (CST)

Hi Del,

I don't know about thick skin, would an extremely hard head suffice? That, I
can do. *Normally*, I try not to make claims without a reasonable arsenal of
arguable facts and logical justification as back-up ammunition. If a
respondent/opponent on any given subject has a better argument that fits my
"known" fact set, I'll gleefully recant and incorporate his/her information
into my reality. An opposing opinion without solid logic and physics behind
it is taken as just more static. I don't usually get too excited about
nonsense. I do find that way too many folks carry around an appalling number
of unsubstantiated "facts" that are facts only because someone they admired
at the time told them so. I'm hoping that, by dragging some of this stuff
out into the light, we can all clear up a BUNCH of incomplete and downright
erroneous beliefs that we hold concerning the wee beasties we work on for a
living. I'm not a bit offended by being educated, that's why I'm here.

If I'm coming on too strong, it's not my intent to attack or offend anyone.
I'm just trying to clear out some of the junk and pick up what I can on the
rebound. If I say or do anything TRULY stupid, I hope someone takes the
trouble to let me know. This is an odd planet, and it's sometimes tough for
a social maladroit to understand the problems. So far, everyone has either
been pretty nice to me, or just ignored me completely (cowards! <G>). I
expect that could change any minute.

"Conventional wisdom" is truly an idiot, and "common sense" is an oxymoron
Let's try to fix that.

Ron

>If you haven't discovered this yet, allow me to let you in on a little
secret. If you're going to write anything about
>anything you'd better develop a VERY thick skin. I don't know about other
industries, but in this one there is almost nothing
>you can say about anything that won't be treading on somebody's favorite
belief. And, believe me, they will let you know.
>Sometimes -- perhaps, most times -- this is very helpful. It makes one
think and evaluate what you've written. It might even
>change your view of something. Other times . . . well, let's just say that
I'm often reminded of the old cartoon of the
>arguing couple. Finally one of them says to the other, "You might as well
give up, it's going to take a lot more than mere
>facts to convince me!"
>
>Del
>
>"Convention wisdom is an idiot."

 Ron Nossaman