Bush/Dream OFF PIANO but ON TOPIC

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 12:03:29 -0700

At 12:24 PM 12/31/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Del,
>
>I don't know about thick skin, would an extremely hard head suffice? That, I
>can do. *Normally*, I try not to make claims without a reasonable arsenal of
>arguable facts and logical justification as back-up ammunition. If a
>respondent/opponent on any given subject has a better argument that fits my
>"known" fact set, I'll gleefully recant and incorporate his/her information
>into my reality. An opposing opinion without solid logic and physics behind
>it is taken as just more static. I don't usually get too excited about
>nonsense. I do find that way too many folks carry around an appalling number
>of unsubstantiated "facts" that are facts only because someone they admired
>at the time told them so. I'm hoping that, by dragging some of this stuff
>out into the light, we can all clear up a BUNCH of incomplete and downright
>erroneous beliefs that we hold concerning the wee beasties we work on for a
>living. I'm not a bit offended by being educated, that's why I'm here.
>
>If I'm coming on too strong, it's not my intent to attack or offend anyone.
>I'm just trying to clear out some of the junk and pick up what I can on the
>rebound. If I say or do anything TRULY stupid, I hope someone takes the
>trouble to let me know. This is an odd planet, and it's sometimes tough for
>a social maladroit to understand the problems. So far, everyone has either
>been pretty nice to me, or just ignored me completely (cowards! <G>). I
>expect that could change any minute.
>
>"Conventional wisdom" is truly an idiot, and "common sense" is an oxymoron
>Let's try to fix that.
>Ron

Very nicely said, Ron.
	 Neither nice, ignoring, or coward; I'll add these words from a true hero
of technicians everywhere....... Albert Einstein

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former."

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18."

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"

"Where the world ceases to be the scene of our personal hopes and wishes,
where we face it as free beings admiring, asking and observing, there we enter
     the realm of Art and Science"

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world."

	For the exchange between Ron and Del, these words are "topical", and worth
sharing anytime. Even for "social maladroit" techs. (thanks, Ron)

Happy New Year,
Guy