Digitals--

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 17:19:19 +0000

> I agree that physical modeling technology is a dramatic improvement over
> sampling.  It is particularly well suited to the change in timbre over time as
> the real thing does rather than looping the sustain portion of the envelope.  My
> complaint with electronics has been its inability to imatate the interaction
> between the strings and soundboard when playing chords or using the sustain
> pedal.
>
> We all know that each string excites harmonics in other un-damped strings.  The
> timbre of a single note will be much different when it is played with and without
> the sustain pedal.  Will physical modeling actually address this?  How much
> computing power will be required to model the string - bridge - soundboard
> relationship?  How far do we need to go in emulating a piano?

Regarding damper interaction,  the Baldwin Pianovelle digitals have a
damper physical model that interacts with other notes while playing.
Damper 'ghosting' works on these instruments, and you get a sustain
re-inforcement through passages such as the opening to Moonlight
Sonata or the second movement of the Pathetique sonata that you don't
get from other digitals. I don't much care for the actual piano sound
samples (a composite of several samples averaged together), but the
damper interaction sets it apart.
The Pianovelle line is produced by GeneralMusic of Italy (no
relation to General Foods, as far as I know). They have a decent spec
sheet on damper physical modelling and natural string resonance at:
http://www.generalmusic.com/company/rd/models.htm

Regards,

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG