moving a Steinway Grand..Was Stienway

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sat, 01 Feb 1997 00:15:14 -0600

The primary consideration here appear to be the costs.  Professional piano
movers can quote a fee for an inhouse move, for six stairs, or vertigal 3
feet.  Should be between $100 and $300 US.
	Regarding this, and now that we have Steinway on the "line" how does
Steinway move grand pianos, in particular the D.??
	I have seen movers remove only the left leg (of any grand, but not sure if
I saw a D done this way) and "roll" it over using the lyre to support the
piano through its arc from horizontal to vertical. Actually the piano is
"pushed over" to meet the sled which is on top of the dolly, then pushed to
standing on its side.   This means the lyre and the back leg are supporting
the entire weight, (but most of the weight is on the lyre) until it meets
the sled.  Criticism of this method cites tremendous strain on the lyre,
predicting disasterous results unless the lyre were designed for this, plus
possible bending and or flexing of the key bed, not good for regualtion.
	The other method involves removing the lyre, lifting the left side of the
piano, and removing that leg, then lowering to meet the sled on the dolly.
Here the piano is supported on two legs, but puts the treble leg at an
awkward strain, (also predicting awful failure in absence of leg plates),
and places fingers of at least one mover in jeopardy.
	I ask these questions, because the problem of moving a grand piano up 3
feet should be easily accomplished by three strong bodies, some equipment,
and a little training.  If it is a concert grand, perhaps 4 "hands"..
	The use of a fork lift is intuitive, so it must be out of the question for
what ever reasons.  Even with a fork lift, a technician should be present
to place the forks to avoid damage to the piano, especaily the trap work.
There is the possibility of using a "cherry picker", the type auto
mechanics use to extract engines from cars.  In the case of a concert
grand, a picker the size used for large semi-trucks might be needed.  It
could be placed on the stage, but would have to reach far enough over the
stage to lift the piano secured by moving straps. Of course it should not
tip over, or require six people standing on one end, and a seventh to
"crank" it.   Don't forget  the technician who should be consulted as to
how to place the straps to avoid damage to the instrument.
	Again, on the intuitive side, the use of a cable, or cables suspended from
the ceiling, and used in conjunction with a $40 come-along and moving
straps must also be out of the question. This system should support 2,000
lbs, or what ever your insurance says.  Weights of pianos to follow.
	Back to the three man move. If a grand piano is to be moved often, there
is a way to get around the cost of a sled.  ($276 from APSCO retail,
(called a skid) or less depending on how well you treat your technician.)
One reason a sled is needed to move a piano on its side is because the over
hanging edge of the lid would get trashed, and then the side itself.  Two
by two inch  "runners" (consider straight grained fir, or knot free birch,
or consult a shop teacher)  can be screwed to the side.  Two of these are
needed.   Then the only problem is the lid flopping down, unless the piano
has one of those European lid latches.  Industrial Velcro, or the
ubiquitous nylon moving straps help.  Forget duct tape.
	The piano perhaps can be "dropped" onto a 1.5 foot very strong wooden box
covered by a moving blanked folded over, and then swiveled to edge of the
stage.  The lift then would be 1.5  feet. You might find a second higher
box  for the end of the piano would help.  Then again the first box might
have to be lower.
	If you want to go this route, hire professional piano movers for the first
move.  Watch what they do. Pay them a little extra if need be to figure out
what size boxes you need.  Hire them again if necessary to see if you got
it right. You do want to get it down off the stage?
	Weights of pianos according to Pierce (in pounds). Steinway; M - 560, A -
680, B (7 foot) 740, D (9 foot) 980.  Baldwins of similar sizes (according
to Pierce) are about 100 pounds more.

Good luck and remember, gravity never forgives.  That's why piano movers
are insured.

Richard Moody piano tuner technician

	The bottom line is not, "what does it cost?"; but "what is it worth?"