moving a Stienway Grand

James McCormac jmccorm@tfb.com
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 23:38:50 -0800

Horace Greeley wrote:
> --snip --
>
> Do you remember the opera?  (Do you remember Albrecht?)
> 	The dwarf Albrecht carries forth in "Reingold" and ultimately in
"Gotterdamerung"  -- He probably spends most of his time in some Beyreuth
bierstube as the intermediate installments of the ring drone on --
for days on end -- whence the question "Do you remember Albrecht?" when
he finally reappears with the Reingold.  The question was asked by that
great lady, songstess and story teller -- Anna Russell-- during her
heroic and public attempts to make some semblance of sense of Wagner's
Ring cycle. (Her wonderful recounting of the ring is available on CD.)

-- > Yep.  You got it.  Before any of the horrified onlookers, yours
truly
> included, could utter a sound, the toe end on the piano went over the lip
> of the pit; and the piano fell, lid down, onto the lowered section of the
> stage, 30 feet below.  The sound was - - words fail - - amazing.
>
> Fortunately, there was another piano, and a forgiving artist.
>
> I laughed for weeks.
>
> The piano, by the bye, was locally rebuilt and is still the house piano of
> a well known Steinway artist.
>
> (A virtual chocolate chip cookie for the person correctly identifying
> Albrecht.  A virtual chocolate chip cookie, AND an RC Cola for the person
> correctly identifying who made that question famous.)

Do I claim the prize?  or did I loose points for "dissing" Wagner?

Jim McCormac
Associate PTG
USC '68  (Sorry the alma mater treated you badly)