Grand wippen spring. Go figure

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Sat, 01 Feb 1997 07:59:54 +0000

Jim Coleman Sr. wrote:

>The mystery is:  How did the spring get out of the silk cord loop?  I saw
>no evidence of a foreign object having been involved.

>Any ideas as to how the spring had popped out?

Jim,

	In mystery cases like this, I usually ask who has previously
serviced the piano. 9 times out of 10 (+- 1) someone was there "just
a little while ago" and  the customer is sometimes reluctant to
mention this, as it means that the problem isn't the piano's fault
anymore. Ask if the last tuner did anything with the piano, or if the
person wasn't there for the tuning. I've followed up on a few of
these problems, and this has been the usual case!

Disclaimer: if this is your client and you have been the regular
service tech. disregard the above and chalk it up to spring gremlins.

Happy Pondering,

Rob Kiddell
R.P.T., P.T.G.
C.A.P.T. Student