A Test Question

Oorebeek A. oorebeek@euronet.nl
Sun, 02 Feb 1997 16:13:41 +0000

>you are about half way through and are rushing to avoid being late to a
>dental appointment afterwards when you discover several hammers warped
>enough by humidity or whatever to be missing one of the strings.
>Do you:

>1. Ignore the situation?  If not, why not?

If the instrument is in reasonable good shape, I'll correct the =
problem.
If the instrument is in incredible bad shape, I'll tinform he =
customer, but refuse to make improvements right away.

>2. Tune the unstruck string, and if so how?

If the instrument is in incredible bad shape, I'll tinform he =
customer and try to tune the unstruck string by plucking with fingers.

>3. Align the hammer, and if so is this enough?

If the instrument is in reasonable good shape, I'll correct the =
problem, file the hammer and make voicing adjustments..

>4. Twist the shank.  Is this all that needs to be done?

If the instrument is in reasonable good shape, I'll correct the =
problem, file the hammer and make voicing adjustments..

>5. Travel the hammer.  How is this different from Aligning?

Usualy, the factory would have made proper  aligning and travel so =
that the correction by warming up a hammer shank should be enough, =
otherwise I'd correct the problem (if the instrument is in ok shape).

>6. Reshape the hammer.  Why would this be necessary?

Because of wrong marks of strings after adjustment.

>7. Throw up your hands in frustration.  (My choice for a lot of
>situations)

If the instrument is in incredible bad shape, I'll tinform he =
customer, but refuse to make improvements right away.

>8. All of the above?

Read No 1 Through 7

>9. Choose your own numbers or add some

Read No 1 Through 7