Steinway Wippens

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sun, 02 Feb 1997 14:13:13 -0600

Don,

   I'm sure you're right. I was just thinking of the way they're regulated
instead of the type of spring it was. Sorry.
   I'm also sorry I'm so late finding out about the Renner wippens. Has
anyone heard of any problems with them, especially relating to action
spread, how well they work as compared to the regular Steinway wippens,
etc.? These seem to be OK.

Avery

>Renner has had replacement Steinway wippens with a regulating screw on the
>repetition spring  available for about 7 years now. They still are a
>butterfly style spring, though. It is called a Herz spring, as I recall.
>
>If this piano really does not have a butterfly spring, then you have a
>real odd one there.
>
>Don Mannino RPT
>
>   I just discovered today that our rebuilt Steinway B has a wippen without
>the butterfly repetition spring. It has a screw adjustment for the
>repetition. Is this something new?
>   I wasn't aware there was one of this type available. Sure was nice
>adjusting the repetition that way, though. :-)

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
713-743-3226