S&S retro/fit

RPSPIANO@aol.com RPSPIANO@aol.com
Sun, 02 Feb 1997 15:15:59 -0500 (EST)

Dear list members,

Thanks for your replies.
< I think that what you have there is a Steinway & Sons rebuild from about
10-15 years ago. Just a guess, but I have seen several done the same way from
S&S.>JIMRPT

The reason I'm not sure of age is the number is only penciled on and
the key frame being replaced no numbers there. Please replace serial #'s
I'm sure this was most likely done in the 70's as you suggest, due to
the Teflon wips and shanks.  Seems like a shame now -- but no doubt
it was perceived as state of the art then. I fortunately do not have many
of these actions in my clientele. I am interested in the replacements you
have
seen.  Did they look just as good as new factory work?  This action,
although fairly well done, just does not look up to factory standards.
The action brackets & rails are original, from what I can tell.  The keys
I'm not so sure about. They appear to be sugar pine the key buttons
                              had to be replaced, but the backchecks look
original 1 3/4"& worn.
The capstans are not in hard wood raised inserts but directly screwed
                              into the key. The spacing of the balance rail
pins is not exceptional
in fact the owner complained also of the difference in spacing
between the sharps.  My guess is replaced, but read on.

<The numbers you have here initially shout hammers heavier than keys.
Balance weight is way off.>dms2000

 The hammers are Renner but have been
replaced at a later date, 1993 I think stamped on the hammer.
I immediately saw weight problems there and figured no problem.
We did all the regular stuff. Clean capstans and wips, replaced
wippen cushion felts, checked pinning, etc.etc. etc. more can still
be done I know.

 <In my opinion the use of any lubricant to cure ills of action centers is
contraindicated. A tight action center is an indication of some problem that
can be masked by use of lubricants, but not fixed by them.>JIMRPT
No truer words can be stated !!!!

There has obviously been some recognized weight problems
sometime in the past. Or someone had a terrible accident - as
silicone is evident all over the keys and key pins, can't lay the
keys on our angled bed key trolleys - they slide off  !! There is
some evidence of verdgris on the repitition center pin I have
never seen that on teflon. You see my dilemma?

 <If the parts are in good shape I would recommend keeping them.  I would NOT
recommend taking extreme amounts of weight off the hammers.  This will have
the effect of making the tone "Smaller". >stanwood@tiac

The gest of this scenario? I've done hundreds of actions.
I didn't take my own or others advice to go through an
entire check list of problems. It is easy to become a little
lackadaisical, feel over secure in my diagnostic ability.
Under estimate what really might be required to resolve
all the problems. I hate working on pianos that have had
major alterations or poor quailty work performed, but
it happens. I still try to avoid it - I don't need the additional
headaches. Can this be remedied, sure !  There are a lot
of giving Piano Technicians out there willing to share
experience.  I guess it will be up to the client to decide
how he would like to proceed. The piano is at least better
now if not perfect. Lets see if he can tell a difference.

Many Thanks for letting me blow off steam
Mark Ritchie RPT