A Test Question

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sun, 02 Feb 1997 20:02:15 -0800

Jon Page wrote:

> I would choose option #2.
> Tune by plucking the strings with your fingernail, or use the unacorda pedal.
> Leave the realignment til next time when you are not in such time constraint..

> >1. Ignore the situation?  If not, why not?
> >2. Tune the unstruck string, and if so how?
> >3. Align the hammer, and if so is this enough?
> >4. Twist the shank.  Is this all that needs to be done?
> >5. Travel the hammer.  How is this different from Aligning?
> >6. Reshape the hammer.  Why would this be necessary?
> >7. Throw up your hands in frustration.  (My choice for a lot of
> >situations)
> >8. All of the above?
> >9. Choose your own numbers or add some.

Jon, this is all a hypothetical situation.  All of these are double
questions, not multiple choice.  New technicians need to know; not only
that they should or shouldn't do something, but what are the
consequences of their choices!

What happens if a technician chooses #1 (ignore)?  There must be a lot
of people out there doing this because every week I find strings on new
customers' pianos that are not struck and are considerably flat of the
others! What are the consequences of ignoring? The string is not being
struck, what's the problem?

You said a "quick fix" might become a "snowball".  What might be the
results of quickly doing some of the other procedures just on the
offending hammers?

I liked Willem's answer. Fix it right the first time and the heck with
the schedule.  Come on, Sir, you're telling us that you never get
between a rock and a hard place? If you would accept the time
constraints, what is the best service you can provide in the period
available?

And no, even after 24 years in this business do I know everything!  I
keep learning every day and some of the most valuable insights I've ever
had came from new people who still had not yet bought into all the
prejudices and pre-conceptions of us "old mossy-backs"!

Sincerely,

Warren

--
Warren D. Fisher