Bosendorfer problems

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 14:14:10 -0500 (EST)

Greetings List,

One of the most troublesome pianos under my care at Kansas State
University is a battleship sized Bosendorfer Imperial. There is so much
friction at the agraffes, V-bar, and counterbearing surfaces that tuning
becomes a complete misery. Sometimes I will turn the tuning pin 3 to 4
times before the pitch will even budge; and of course when the string
finally moves , it makes my SAT turn red (literally!). Lowering the pitch
is equally troublesome. In addition, tuning the bottom eight strings is a
joke even with my trusty Sanderson.

The piano is less than 20 years old. Has anyone else had the same
difficulty? If so, do you have any tips on taming this formidable
Austrian beast? I must say that voicing and regulating  the big Bo is a
breeze. However it often takes me three hours plus to get a reasonable
tuning on  it. Help.

Charles Faulk RPT
Manhattan, Kansas