Perfect fifths temperament (was Perfect Tuning)

KUANG v137z2ng@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 15:39:31 -0500 (EST)

Hi, list:
	That book by Fischer happenes to be my first tuning "text book".
Perfect fifth temperament is the only method I use (and the only method I
know) to tune a piano.  I found it very easy to learn and it's VERY
accurate (to most people I know).
No, i don't know how to hear "beats" (i don't intend to learn it
either...sounds like it's hard to learn).  I'm not a professional tuner
(i'm a student of many majors including piano and violin) but all of my
music friends think i'm at a professional level.  The major thirds don't
sound flat to me at all.  Every time i check the pianos tuned by the piano
technician of my music department with perfect fifths,  one or two of them
are flat and/or sharp (I bet he doesn't use SAT.....or does he?  Oh, he's
a RPT.  No offense)  I never checked my own temperament with an instrument
so I don't know if my tunning is really that accurate or not.  The only
problem with perfect fifth temperament i know is that if "your" perfect
fifth is only 0.2 cent sharp/flat, then you'll end up with little more
than 2 cent sharp/flat (and if "your" perfect fifth is 1 cent off,
then....oh well, go figure :) ).  And it won't sound pleasant if you
check with the octave.  I said it was an easy method because, well, it's
the only interval you have to know!

Kuang