Bosendorfer problems

Lee Sankey LSankey@swbell.net
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 15:06:22 -0600

------------76842A701A1B0

You have my sympathy.

I have serviced an Imperial Bosendorfer (I'm not certain since Kimball
acquired them if its really a "Bosenball" or a "Kimballdorfer") at the
University of Texas San Antonio (UTSA) since 1983. It is used so much
that it is frequently tuned everyday.

One of the problems as I understand it is that pinblock problems
developed in the pianos being imported into the United States. It was
then decided to use a high density (multi-laminate) pinblock but they
continued to use  1/0 tuning pins resulting in pin torque.(twisting
along its longitudinal axis). I believe this may be the problem you are
encountering when you must overturn the pin and then it goes further
than you want it to. Try some impact method to insure the pin actually
turns.

Another problem with the Imperial I service is the strings ride up the
bridge pins and will go out of tune and or develope false beats. I must
regularly tap the strings back to the bridge and this usually affects
the amount of tuning.

This piano is dramatically affected by temperature and humidity changes.
It must be at the same temp each time it is tuned. The recital hall temp
is 68 degrees with the lights off and it increases to 85 degrees after
the lights have been on for a while. This piano will vary 5 beats
depending on temperature.

These are just some idle thoughts. I am sure I will think of more. In
the meantime, contact Newton Hunt. He worked in the Bosendorfer factory
one summer ( I think)

Good luck

Lee Sankey
LSankey@swbell.com

------------76842A701A1B0

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>You have my sympathy.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>I have serviced an Imperial Bosendorfer (I'm not certain since Kimball
acquired them if its really a &quot;Bosenball&quot; or a &quot;Kimballdorfer&quot;)
at the University of Texas San Antonio (UTSA) since 1983. It is used so
much that it is frequently tuned everyday.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>One of the problems as I understand it is that pinblock problems developed
in the pianos being imported into the United States. It was then decided
to use a high density (multi-laminate) pinblock but they continued to use&nbsp;
1/0 tuning pins resulting in pin torque.(twisting along its longitudinal
axis). I believe this may be the problem you are encountering when you
must overturn the pin and then it goes further than you want it to. Try
some impact method to insure the pin actually turns.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Another problem with the Imperial I service is the strings ride up
the bridge pins and will go out of tune and or develope false beats. I
must regularly tap the strings back to the bridge and this usually affects
the amount of tuning.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>This piano is dramatically affected by temperature and humidity changes.
It must be at the same temp each time it is tuned. The recital hall temp
is 68 degrees with the lights off and it increases to 85 degrees after
the lights have been on for a while. This piano will vary 5 beats depending
on temperature.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>These are just some idle thoughts. I am sure I will think of more.
In the meantime, contact Newton Hunt. He worked in the Bosendorfer factory
one summer ( I think)</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Good luck</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>