What you are is what you hear

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 13:36:57 -0800 (PST)

Dear Andr=E9 (and List),

At 08:20 PM 2/3/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>I imagine you considered the problem of stability after your discovery. =
 Do
>>you think that the warm rich tone could be achieved by gentle tuning, and
>>then tested by heavy blows?  Will the warm tone remain after heavy blows?
>>(If not, some pianists will destroy it in 10 seconds.) Did you find that
>>stability was worse with gentle tuning?=20
>>Is it possible to refine hammer technique enough to compensate for lack of
>>heavy blows?
>
> Dear Susan Kline and list,
>
>After shutting down my computer last night, I thought I had forgotten
somrthing.
>Indeed I should have mentioned that in order to make use of this "tone
possibillity" one has to be an experienced tuner.
>My teacher pointed this out to me, he said that a compromise can be made by
using maximum "tuning pin technique", meaning; it is not (always) necessary
to use heavy blows.
>Instead, one must have a developped muscle technique, to manipulate the
tuning pin with as little movement as possible. Turning the pin with minimal
torque is the answer. Feel and hear a "tic!" while using the tuning hammer,
try to move the pin to it's destination without even touching the key, and
then check. It's Zen . A kind "blow" will set the string.

I like your Zen.  I've been working along these lines for awhile, but not in
so decided a manner.  I'll try it. (I've been tuning for 18 years, which I
guess is experienced, but there is always room for more learning.)

>BTW. where does the name Kline come from? (Klein?)

It is Pennsylvania Dutch, so it has been misspelled for a long time! It
would be nice if Pennsylvania Dutch were Dutch, but I believe they were
German.  (Really "Pennsylvania Deutsch".) =20

>Friendly Greetings from:
>
>CONCERT PIANO SERVICE
>Andr=E9 Oorebeek
>Amsterdam, the Netherlands