What you are is what you hear

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 22:57:36 +0000

Dear André,

That's an nice article you wrote.  When I was training we weren't
allowed to use a tuning leaver, for the first year of tuning  we  used a
T hammer.  This had two purposes one to develop the vice grip and
control that tuners need to acquire.  Also to to learn the feel of how
the pin turns in the plank.

I was also taught by one of my teachers that you should not strike the
key too hard when tuning it should be just hard enough to displace any
drag between the tuning pin and the Agraft.

At present I have to tune a hundred and eight year old Bechstein grand
for regular concerts.  This piano has loose pins and I have to prepare
it for pianists like Martin Rosko who likes to knock seven bells out of
his pianos.  I manage to make this piano stay reasonably well in tune
through the concert, However, a year or so ago, I was unable to tune the
piano for a particular concert and they engaged a colleague of mine who
I know well, he is a good tuner but is a keyboard thrasher.  Very often
breaking shanks.

He could not make the piano stay in tune for  the concert it was a bit
of a disaster.   We realised after talking  later on,  that he was just
knocking his tuning out again,  instead of gently turning and coaxing
the pin in to place.  He was having to re-tune the strings more because
he would knock the unison out due to his heavy handed approach to
the piano,   of course he complained and said that the tuning pins were
too loose, they are loose if you compare them with a newer piano or what
you would normally find on a concert platform.

 Your post tends to reinforce what I have always beleved setting the pin
is more important than how hard you hit the key.

Kind regards,

Barrie.

In article <199702030021.BAA06363@mail.euronet.nl>, "Oorebeek A."
<oorebeek@euronet.nl> writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |