What you are is what you hear

Mon, 03 Feb 1997 18:37:44 -0800

Ed,

I respectfully concur in part and dissent in part to the following:

At 01:41 PM 2/3/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings;
>
> Susan Kline asks;
>>Is it possible to refine hammer technique enough to compensate for lack of
>>heavy blows?
>
>Yes,  though some pinblock/agraffe/capo bar combinations are more easily
>manipulated to this end than others.
>
>Regards,
>Ed Foote

I absolutely agree with your point, but think that an additional set of
variables includes things like "and what is the use of this piano?"  I have
worked with far too many "concert artists" (as opposed to concert artists)
who take immense delight in destroying tunings to trust one I do not know
from experience.

Every situation is going to be somewhat different.  So I try to adjust
accordingly.  On the other hand, I tend to tune with what are charitably
described as "heavy blows", and seldom worry about things getting banged
out during performances or recordings.

If one is not doing this kind of thing regularly, then one should tune
accordingly.

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley

"We learn from history that we learn nothing from history"

			- George Bernard Shaw

Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu
voice mail: 415.725.9062